UGC Revised Guidelines on Examinations and Academic Calendar for the Universities in view of COVID-19 Pandemic
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued Guidelines on Examinations and Academic Calendar for the Universities in View of COVID-19 Pandemic and Subsequent Lockdown on 29th April, 2020. In these Guidelines it was proposed to conduct the examinations in July 2020. The said Expert Committee was requested to revisit the Guidelines for Examinations and Academic Calendar as the number of COVID cases are still rising and likely to increase further. The Report of the Expert Committee was considered and approved by the Commission in its emergent meeting held on 6th July 2020.
- Terminal semester meaning : The last/final semester of a course.
- Intermediate semester meaning : The semester other than last/final semester or first semester.
In continuation to earlier Guidelines issued on 29.04.2020 and based on the Report of the Expert Committee, the following Revised Guidelines on Examinations and Academic Calendar for the Universities in view of COVID-19 Pandemic were also approved by the Commission in its emergent meeting held on 6th July 2020:
In view of the emerging situation related to COVID-19 pandemic in India, it is important to safeguard the principles of health, safety, fair and equal opportunity for students. At the same time, it is very crucial to ensure academic credibility, career opportunities and future progress of students globally. Academic evaluation of students is very important milestone in any education system. The performance in examinations gives confidence and satisfaction to the students and is a reflection of competence, performance and credibility that is necessary for global acceptability.
1. Mode of Terminal Semester/ Final Year Examinations (2019-20) The universities are required to complete the examinations by the end of September, 2020 in offline (pen & paper)/ online/ blended (online + offline) mode following the prescribed protocols/ guidelines related to COVID-19 pandemic.
2. Provision of Examination through Special Chance In case a student of terminal semester/ final year is unable to appear in the examination conducted by the University for whatsoever the reason(s) may be, he/she may be given opportunity to appear in special examinations for such course(s)/ paper(s), which may be conducted by the university as and when feasible, so that the student is not put to any inconvenience/ disadvantage. The above provision shall be applicable only for the current academic session 2019-20 as a one-time measure.
3. Backlog of Papers in Respect of Terminal Semester(s)/ Final Year Students The students of terminal semester/ final year students having backlog should compulsorily be evaluated by conducting examinations in offline (pen & paper)/ online/ blended (online + offline) mode as per feasibility and suitability.
4. The guidelines regarding intermediate semester/ year examinations will remain unchanged as notified on 29th April, 2020.
5. The relevant details, if need be, pertaining to the Admissions and Academic Calendar in the universities and colleges shall be issued separately in place of those mentioned in the earlier guidelines issued on 29th April, 2020.
6. Notwithstanding the above guidelines regarding conduct of examination and commencement of next academic session, every university/ institution has to ensure that it is prepared in all respects to carry out the academic activities following necessary protocols/guidelines/directions/advisories issued by the Central/State Governments and MHRD/ UGC from time to time, in view of COVID-19.
Letter regarding revised UGC Guidelines on Examinations and Academic Calendar - Dated on 6th July 2020
UGC Revised Guidelines on Examinations and Academic Calendar for the Universities in view of COVID 19 Pandemic - Dated on 6th July 2020
UGC Guidelines on Examinations and Academic Calendar - Dated on 29th April 2020